OUR VISION: HEALTHIER SMILES FOR ALL
Our Vision: Healthier Smiles for All
Crest and Oral-B believe a smile is worth the world and that all Americans deserve healthy smiles. However, tooth decay is the No. 1 chronic disease in America. This issue is more pronounced in underserved communities, where Black and Hispanic children have a higher rate of tooth decay, but are less likely to see a dentist.
That’s why Crest and Oral-B are committed to ensuring that every single smile in America is healthy. The brands aspire to enable all Americans to have access to our superior oral care products, services and education while also reducing the impact on our planet. Crest and Oral-B have been working for over 60 years to support healthy oral care habits and we won’t stop until we’ve unleashed healthy smiles all across the U.S.
Our Path Forward to Keep Smiles Healthy
We believe every smile is priceless. That’s why we are focused on three core areas that will enable Crest and Oral-B to make progress toward the goal of healthier smiles for people and the planet:
- Access: ensure that everyone has access to oral care products and services.
- Healthy Oral Habit Education: provide education and resources on proper oral care habits and how oral care impacts a person’s overall health.
- Superior Products and Innovation: provide superior products and solutions to help all people have better oral care outcomes while also reducing impact on the environment.
Oral Health Crisis in America*
- Dental cavities are the most common chronic disease among youth aged 6-19 years.
- The average age for a first dental visit for Caucasian children is three years old, versus 12 years old for Black children.
- Children lose 34 million school hours each year due to oral health issues.
- 1/3 of Americans do not have dental insurance.
- In 2020, Crest and Oral-B donated more than $2.5 million in products and care to support healthy smiles across the U.S.
- The brands have donated more than 400,000 Oral-B toothbrushes and Crest toothpastes through partnerships with organizations like America’s ToothFairy and Dental Lifeline Network.
- Crest and Oral-B are increasing efforts to provide free dental check-ups through partnerships with organizations such as the University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College Dental Hygiene School.
Healthy Oral Habit Education
- Crest and Oral-B work with more than 400,000 dental professionals across all 50 states to provide tools and resources that educate patients on healthy at-home habits and promote understanding on the connection between oral care and overall health.
- The brands have provided more than $140 million in free required continuing education to dental professionals over the past 10 years.
- Crest and Oral-B educate kids on healthy habits and provide educational materials that make it easy for dental professionals, parents and teachers to educate their kids about the importance of oral care.
- Crest and Oral-B are helping families start and keep up healthy habits with the Conquer Cavities Together challenge. For every pledge made to brush for two minutes twice a day, Crest and Oral-B will donate a Conquering Cavities, Together kit to a child or family in need*.
Superior Products and Innovation
Better Outcomes for People
Crest and Oral-B have strived to provide Americans with superior products that deliver better oral health results for over 60 years.
Oral-B is the No. 1 dentist-recommended toothbrush brand worldwide and is the first electric toothbrush brand to be accepted by the American Dental Association, demonstrating the highest standards of safety and efficacy.
- Oral-B electric toothbrushes improve gum health by removing up to 100% more plaque than regular manual toothbrushes. They help improve brushing habits through educational features, such as a 2-minute timer or pressure sensor. Some models also enable connection via an app for dental coaching and feedback.
- Oral-B’s free Disney Magic Timer App helps establish healthy habits by helping 90% of kids brush for longer.
Crest, the #1 toothpaste brand in America, was introduced in the U.S. in 1956 as the first toothpaste with fluoride and the first toothpaste to be recognized by the American Dental Association to effectively prevent tooth decay.
- Unlike standard toothpaste, Crest Gum & Pro-Health toothpaste neutralizes bad bacteria to improve a gum health.
In a clinical study, 100% of patients with unhealthy gums saw improvement in gum health when using Oral-B iO, Crest Gum Detoxify, Glide Floss and Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Rinse together.
Better Outcomes for the Planet
Responsible manufacturing, sourcing & transparency:
- 100% of U.S. manufacturing plants purchase 100% renewable electricity and send zero manufacturing waste to landfills.
- Our localized manufacturing in the U.S. makes more than 90% of our toothpaste and manual toothbrushes for the U.S. market.
- Crest and Oral-B will continue to provide safe products with transparency. Consumers can find details on product ingredients and components through brand websites and SmartLabel.
Reshaping the lifecycle of our products:
- Oral-B Clic manual toothbrush uses 60% less plastic. Fast Company chose Clic as a winner of its 2020 Innovation by Design Awards in the sustainability category.
- Crest is converting to recyclable HDPE toothpaste tubes in the U.S., and will continue until full conversion of 100% recyclable toothpaste tubes by 2025.
- Crest and Oral-B are adding How2Recycle labels on selected product packaging to encourage and inform consumers how to properly recycle product packaging.
- Both Crest and Oral-B have an alternative recycling program in October 2020, to make it easy for consumers to give their used products new life.
Crest and Oral-B’s commitments in the U.S. support P&G’s global oral care goal of educating and enabling 2 billion people to adopt healthy oral care habits by 2030. Healthy Smiles. Healthy Lives. Healthy Planet. is the platform that guides these brands on the journey. Together with suppliers, retailers, consumers and dental professionals, Crest and Oral-B are unlocking the life-changing power of healthy oral habits.