WHAT ARE THE BEST WHITENING TOOTHPASTES?
- How does Whitening Toothpaste work?
- Choosing a Safe Whitening Toothpaste for You
- Best Whitening Toothpaste Options
Ask any of your closest friends if they want their teeth to be whiter, and a vast majority of them will say yes. Ask them again about what the best tooth whitening toothpaste is, and they will each give a different answer. Having a whiter smile is more than just buying any toothpaste with the words “whitening” on the tube. In truth, searching for the best whitening toothpaste out there can be a real struggle if you don’t know where to look or what to look for. Just remember, the best whitening toothpaste is the one you like well enough to use every day.
How does Whitening Toothpaste work?
Did you know that 50% of people first look at the smile when meeting a new person? So, what criteria should you follow to find the best whitening toothpaste on the market? Here are a few examples to help narrow your search for the best whitening toothpaste for you.
- Stain Removal: Stain removal whitens teeth by using physical and chemical actions such as mechanical stain disruption (e.g., from silica) and chemical stain disruption (e.g., from sodium hexametaphosphate). These combined actions help to disrupt and destroy the stain on the surface of the enamel, exposing a cleaner, whiter surface. Several whitening products base their benefits on these types of actions. Effective whitening toothpastes contain special silica particles that gently polish the enamel. Many Crest products like Crest 3D White contain a dual silica system that is a combination of cleaning silica and a special whitening silica to gently clean and polish teeth for premium whitening.
- Stain prevention: Chemical Stain Prevention is possible through phosphate technologies, such as pyrophosphates and polyphosphate (sodium hexametaphosphate) found in Crest 3D White toothpastes. Any toothpaste or rinse technology that also prevents the formation of tartar (Calculus) is stain preventing, as tartar can contribute to extrinsic stain build-up. Examples of tartar prevention ingredients include pyrophosphate and polyphosphate technologies.
Choosing a Safe Whitening Toothpaste for You
The best whitening toothpastes help whiten your smile while providing additional benefits to help improve your oral health. So, what additional attributes can you look for when selecting the best whitening toothpaste for you? Some whitening toothpastes help to prevent the following oral health issues.
- Antimicrobial: Antimicrobial toothpastes may contain stannous fluoride, an antibacterial agent that also provides anti-cavity and sensitivity benefits.
- Tartar control: Tartar-control toothpastes may contain pyrophosphate which helps to keep tartar from forming on teeth. Advanced toothpaste formulations contain sodium hexametaphosphate, which helps prevent tartar and stain formation above the gum line.
- Teeth Sensitivity: Sensitivity toothpastes may contain different compounds to help stop tooth pain, including stannous fluoride. If you experience teeth sensitivity, a toothpaste may also utilize multiple compounds to effectively whiten while treating teeth sensitivity.
Best Whitening Toothpaste Options
If you are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that whitening toothpaste works best for you, consider how the revolutionary
Crest 3D White Brilliance 2 Step Toothpaste can brilliantly whiten your smile. It is a unique system, in which key ingredients work in tandem to help offer outstanding stain removal and long-lasting stain prevention.
Use it to keep your smile up to 99% as white as a Professional Polish*
*with daily use. Stain assessed 4 weeks after a dental cleaning.
Additional Whitening Add-Ons
To further whiten your smile consider updating your daily oral care routine to include one or all of the following:
- An electric toothbrush equipped with a whitening mode like the Oral-B iO Series 9 which gently polishes away surface stains to reveal a brighter smile.
- A whitening floss that helps remove plaque and food particles from between teeth while also preventing future stains from taking root.
- An enamel-safe leave-on whitening treatment like Crest Whitening Emulsions which swipes on in seconds and can deliver fast whitening results with virtually no sensitivity.
- A whitening mouthwash that when paired with twice daily brushing helps remove more surface stains from teeth.
Now, the moment of truth. You’ve done the research and narrowed your list, so which whitening paste toothpaste and whitening oral care routine will be yours?
This blog has been reviewed and approved
by Dr Robert Lee, a dental professional of 35 years
Dr Robert Lee
Dr Robert Lee is a dentist with more than thirty years of experience in the industry.
Graduating from the University of Sydney with a Bachelor of Dental Surgery and from the University of New South Wales with a Master of Business Administration, Robert’s career has taken him all over the world – from Australia to Germany to his current position in Chicago, where he is the founder of Denticus Inc., offering strategic dental consulting.
Robert has previously worked for Procter & Gamble as the Director of Professional Scientific Relations in both the Cincinnati and Sydney offices, being responsible for external relations and scientific exchange with leading professional associations and industry thought leaders. He was also responsible for all technical and scientific training for the professional teams in North America and Australia.
Robert has been assisting the team at Oral-B by fact-checking and reviewing our blogs on dental health. You can find a list of the blogs Robert has approved below: